Hot Topics from 2017 were:
Vitamin D and Autoimmune diseases
The gut microbiome and responses in the immune system e.g.
- Immunological and clinical effect of diet modulation of the gut microbiome in multiple sclerosis patients: a pilot study
- International study of the gut microbiome – the population of bacteria in the gut – in MS.
- Aged Gut Microbiota Contributes to Systemical Inflammaging after Transfer to Germ-Free Mice
Systemic lupus erythematous
This is a roundup of recent research that has been done on Autoimmune diseases from around the world - all of them are from 2017. By no means is it a conclusive list.
- McDonald Criteria Update: Further Distinction Between Relapsing-Remitting, Primary-Progressive MS
- Anti-inflammatory antibodies may treat autoimmune disease: Enzyme treatment converts autoantibodies into anti-inflammatory antibodies in animal models of two autoimmune diseases
- Hodgkin Lymphoma GWAS, Meta-Analysis Leads to Immune-Related Loci: overlap between its GWAS signals for classical Hodgkin lymphoma and loci implicated in MS, rheumatoid arthritis, systemic lupus erythematosus, primary biliary cirrhosis, ulcerative colitis, and celiac disease.
- New study redefines Down syndrome as immune system disorder
- How T-cells navigate the rough-and-tumble environment of the bloodstream
- Technique Converts Harmful Autoantibodies into Anti-Inflammatory Antibodies In Vivo
- Autoimmune Diseases and Oral Health: 30-Year Follow-Up of a Swedish Cohort
- Resveratrol Role in Autoimmune Disease—A Mini-Review
- Anorexia and Autoimmunity: Challenging the Etiologic Constructs of Disordered Eating
- Scientists identify potential key to therapeutic treatments for autoimmune diseases
- Autoimmune/inflammatory syndrome induced by adjuvants—ASIA—related to biomaterials: analysis of 45 cases and comprehensive review of the literature
- Moving a Step Closer to Solving Problems of Autoimmune Disease and Transplant Rejection. Researchers at the Houston Methodist Research Institute report that they have identified a critical switch that controls T-cell function and dysfunction and have discovered a pathway to target it.
- Azathioprine monotherapy in autoimmune blistering diseases: An option for mild to moderate cases
- Research reveals new associations between type 1 diabetes and asthma in children. Finnish scientists have reported findings where a prior diagnosis of asthma was linked with an increased subsequent risk of type 1 diabetes by 41%.
- Successful treatment of moderate-to-severe alopecia areata improves health-related quality of life.
- Autoimmune nodo-paranodopathies of peripheral nerve: the concept is gaining ground: These patients have been classified up to now as chronic inflammatory demyelinating polyradiculoneuropathy CIDP
- Cell Recycling Process Helps Trigger Immune Attack on Protective Nerve Cell Protein Myelin, MS, December 2017
- Chronic fatigue is being addressed as a serious illness stemming from the autoimmune system’s reaction to infection or stress. December 2017
- Ocular staining worse in dry eye patients with Sjögren’s syndrome, Dec 2017.
- Diet quality is associated with disability and symptom severity in multiple sclerosis, Dec 2017.
- Cell Recycling Process Helps Trigger Immune Attack on Protective Nerve Cell Protein Myelin.
- Blood test for diagnosing multiple sclerosis that avoids the invasive, painful process of collecting fluid from the brain and spine.
- Taurine, an amino acid, may boost the effectiveness of existing multiple sclerosis (MS) therapies, researchers say.
- Cellular self-digestion process triggers autoimmune disease "This reactivation process is thought to play a decisive role in the development of autoimmune neuroinflammation."
- Ultraviolet light offers MS relief
- ACR, EULAR release classification criteria for idiopathic inflammatory myopathies, Dec, 2017.
- Systematic assessment and characterization of chronic pain in multiple sclerosis patients.
- Autoimmune Neurology: A New, Rapidly Evolving Subspecialty
- Changing gut bacteria in Crohn’s disease
- Improving walking for people with peripheral artery disease
- Immunotherapy, Gene Editing Advances Extend to Type 1 Diabetes
- Body’s Biological Clock and Time of Day Affects Immune Cells, Mouse Study Shows
- Cellular self-digestion process triggers autoimmune disease
- Orally Administered Calcitriol Reduced Inflammation in EB Mice: Lack of vitamin D is a potential key factor in epidermolysis bullosa acquisita (EBA)
- Time of day affects severity of autoimmune disease: Immune responses and the regulation of autoimmunity are affected by the time of day when the response is activated.
- Caplacizumab induces response in acquired thrombotic thrombocytopenic purpura.
- Autoimmune conditions, infections common among diffuse large B-cell lymphoma survivors.
- New phenome-wide association study offers insight into autoimmune diseases.
- MAIT cells play a key role in onset of type 1 diabetes. A new study has highlighted the role mucosal-associated invariant T cells play in autoimmune diseases.
- Autoimmune and infectious diseases among diffuse large b-cell lymphoma survivors.
- Teenage microbiome disruption linked to multiple sclerosis trigger: Mouse data
- Risk factor for drug-induced skin disease identified - skin disease bullous pemphigoid (BP) in diabetic patients.
- Throwing tomatoes at autoimmune diseases: William Langridge, PhD, is working on a new way to fight autoimmune diseases (AD) with edible vaccines.
- Diet and lifestyle factors may trigger psoriasis: Environmental and lifestyle factors, may trigger onset of psoriasis and account for approximately 30% of the risk of the condition in people with a genetic preposition.
- Newly ID’d Gene Variant Linked to Slower Progression of Systemic Sclerosis in Women in Small study.
- Research underway for new type 1 diabetes treatment: Researchers at The University of Queensland are hoping a new form of immunotherapy could lead to better treatment.
- Opdivo May Increase Risk for Autoimmune Disorders in Cancer Patients, Case Report Suggests.
- First RNA-Based Blood Test to Identify IBS and IBD
- A low-gluten strain of wheat has been developed by scientists at the Institute of Sustainable Agriculture in Cordoba, Spain. December 2017.
- High-throughput RNA sequencing reveals distinct gene signatures in active IgG4-related disease. December 2017.
- Newly discovered drug-like compound may revolutionize treatment of autoimmune diseases. November 2017.
- Researchers Find Gene Mutation That Makes Japanese More Susceptible to AAV a group of autoimmune diseases whose hallmark is inflammation that damages small blood vessels.
- Arthritis, autoimmune disease discovery could lead to new treatments
- A Large Order of Gut Microbes, Hold the Salt in autoimmune disease
- Novel Compound Could Produce New Autoimmune Therapies
- Sodium intake may interact with genetics to increase latent autoimmune diabetes risk September 2017
- Autoimmune Epilepsy: Current Research In Oxford. September 2017.
- PTSD linked with increased Lupus risk September 2017.
- Regular exercise, stress can both make a big difference in lupus, study finds: Daily activity appears to cut kidney damage from inflammation – and stress does opposite. September 2017.
- Gates Foundation Invests $40 Million in Immunotherapy Collaboration
- IBM to investigate role of microbiome in autoimmune disorders August 2017
- Leaky Gut As a Danger Signal for Autoimmune Diseases 23 May 2017
- HCDR1 Therapy Has Positive Impact on Sjogren Syndrome as Well as Lupus, Its Maker XTL Reports April 2017
- How Autoantibodies Circumvent the Blood–Brain Barrier in Autoimmune Encephalitis April 2017
- Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation's 2017 Sjogren's Treatment Guidelines, March 2017
- Ectopic lymphoid neogenesis in rheumatic autoimmune diseases, Feb. 2017 affecting Rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren's syndrome and Systemic lupus erythematous
An in-depth report on the causes, diagnosis, treatment, and prevention of carpal tunnel syndrome from University of Maryland Medical Center
Untreated sleep apnea: higher risk blood sugar level spikes, stress hormones & blood pressure, new study finds.