Steriods (short for corticosteroids) are often prescribed for autoimmune conditions and have terrible and considerable side effects. They are synthetic drugs that closely resemble cortisol, a hormone that your body produces naturally. Steroids work to decrease inflammation and reduce the activity of the immune system.
Steroids side effects can commonly include:
- Blurred vision
- Cataracts or glaucoma
- Easy bruising
- Difficulty sleeping
- High blood pressure
- Increased appetite, weight gain
- Increased growth of body hair
- Lower resistance to infection
- Muscle weakness
- Nervousness, restlessness
- Stomach irritation or bleeding
- Sudden mood swings
Your bodys own steroid hormones are made by your adrenal glands. You can support your adrenals to work better by cutting out sugar and the caffeine in colas, coffee and tea. Some common symptoms of the adrenal gland not functioning well are:
- chronic fatigue
- digestive problems
- body aches
- low blood pressure
- light headedness
- Pantethine, 600 mg a day - essential for the proper functioning of the adrenal glands and for the producing of natural steroids, called glucocorticoids. Pantethine increases essential omega-3 fatty acids in the body, which reduce inflammation.
- Vitamin C 1-2 g a day
- Vitamin B6 50-100 mg a day
- Vitamin B12 getting B vitamins is very important for your adrenal glands, especially as deficiency in B vitamins has been linked to adrenal stress
- Vitamin A 12,500 IU a day
- Ashwagandha benefits adrenals because it lowers cortisol levels and maintains healthy adrenal function.
There is a huge list of products that you can get these days for adrenal support. Have a look here This is a link to Amazon of which I am an affiliate. This means I will receive a small percentage of anything purchased through this link.
You might also enjoy this book The Everything Guide To Adrenal Fatigue: Revive Energy, Boost Immunity, and Improve Concentration for a Happy, Stress-free Life. I had adrenal fatigue and read a bunch of books on it. This was my favorite. Made things understandable and gave great suggestions for healing, through diet and other ways. Dr. Maggie Luther's book definitely lives up to being an "everything" guide to the condition known as "adrenal fatigue", which is brought on by heightened stress-related situations reducing the body's ability to regulate hormones. The book provides very readable and useful descriptions, explanations, techniques, and recommendations for returning to a healthy lifestyle. The book also contains more than 100 creative food preparations to help in the recovery process, from smoothies and juices to daily meals, desserts, salads, snacks, and soups.
With many thanks to Natural Remedies at The Healthier Life and steroid information at MedicineNet